Hit your abs from all angles with these stomach sculpting moves.
You really want shredded abs and get them rock solid you need to hit it from every single angle. And what better way than to use a medicine ball.
Originating from Persia over 3000 years ago and continued to be used in ancient Greece for injury rehabilitation, medicine ball work is one of the oldest forms of strength and conditioning training.
As well as helping with injuries, the medicine ball can help tone your core muscles, – the body’s center of power. Using a medicine ball to train the core is perfect because you can perform so many functional movements similar to those that you do in everyday life.
Here are my top 4 medicine ball exercises to help you sculpt some killer shredded abs:
KNEELING PARTNER TWIST
- Make sure you’re are on your knees and back to back with a partner.
- Keep your abdominals contracted and maintain perfect posture.
- Slowly twist to one side and pass the ball off to your partner.
- Return to the other side to retrieve the ball.
- Continue for 30–90 seconds, going one way. Repeat, going the other direction.
Tip: This can also be done while standing.
V-SITS AND PASS TO PARTNER
- Sit on the floor about 1–2 feet away from your partner with your knees bent, it may help if you lock your feet together with your partner.
- Sit upright with perfect posture, and with your abdominals contracted tightly throughout the entire exercise.
- Start by holding the medicine ball into your chest.
- Now you and your partner recline back a few inches while maintaining perfect posture.
- Slowly start coming back up and once you’re upright, throw the ball to your partner.
- Your partner will catch it, and you’ll both repeat the exercise. Repeat for 30–90 seconds.
MEDICINE BALL CHEST PASS
- Stand in front of a wall (approx 2-3 feet away) holding a medicine ball in front of your chest.
- Keep your feet at shoulder width apart and maintain a slight bend in your knees.
- Throw the ball with as much power as possible against the wall by pushing it outwards from your chest, then catching the ball as it bounces back, bringing it back to your chest before repeating.
MEDICINE BALL STOMACH HITS (THIS ONE TAKES GUTS)
- Start with a medicine ball and a training partner standing in front of you.
- Holding the ball with both hands, throw it directly at your partner’s abdomen by pushing forward forcefully.
- As the ball is heading towards their stomach, your partner should NOT catch it or block it before it hits them.
- Your partner should catch the ball on the rebound and only after it has hit them, before repeating the exercise and throwing the ball back at you.
Tip: Be sure to start with a light ball and throw conservatively the first time you try this exercise, then slowly increase the weight of the medicine ball.